Open Position: Social Work and Counseling Supervisor
Location: Kibera, Nairobi
About the Organization:
Shining Hope for Communities has developed an innovative, community-driven
model to combat inter-generational cycles of poverty and gender inequality
in Nairobi’s Kibera slum. We link free schools for girls to accessible social
services for all. In August 2009, we founded The Kibera School for Girls, the first
entirely free school for girls in Kibera. The second step of our model provides
the community-at-large with tangible benefits through a community center
adjacent to the school. The unique services we offer include sanitary eco-
toilets, a library and cyber café, gardens and food security, gender violence
support, microenterprise for HIV positive women, a youth center, access to
water, business and literacy training, and hundreds of jobs. We also operate the
Johanna Justin-Jinich Community Clinic, which specializes in primary care and
maternal health. By investing in health and economic success through a school
for girls, we demonstrate that benefitting women benefits the whole community,
cultivating a community ethos that makes women respected members of society.
This position is at the Kibera School for Girls and is full-time.
Reports to: KSG Headmistress
- Provide one-on-one counseling and guidance to the KSG students
- Conduct in-take and annual psychosocial assessments of each student
- Manage the two KSG Social Workers, providing ongoing training and utilizing monitoring and evaluation systems to ensure high quality services are available and utilized by the students and their parents.
- Oversee the creation and implementation of comprehensive treatment plans for high-need students
- Have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Child Psychology, Social Work or a related field. Master degree preferred.
- Have a minimum of five years experience working as a counselor or social worker with children ages 4-15
- Minimum 3 years of direct psychosocial/counseling experience with a reputable agency; experience working with survivors of violence preferred.
- Have a minimum of two years experience managing staff
- Have experience working with families
- Have a passion for working with children
- Be willing to work with children in informal settlements
- Have experience working in a school setting
To Apply: Please either email your CV and a cover letter to [email protected] or call 0732058126 to arrange a time to drop off your CV.