Research Officer – Geographic Information Systems at KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP)
Research Officer – Geographic Information Systems
The post holder will report the study Principal Investigator.
- Weekly review of all published literature on malaria that may information on infection prevalence, control activities and intervention coverage
- Develop an archive of rare malaria infections in Africa (eg Plasmodium ovale and Plasmodium malariae) from published and unpublished data sources
- Provide support for production of maps for countries, national reports and presentations as and when required
- Maintain a professional archive of all GIS surfaces and data within the Spatial Epidemiology Unit
- General support for standard GIS procedures
- Undertake statistical and spatial modelling analysis for publication
- Make presentations to journal clubs and seminar
Qualifications: Master of Science graduate in Geography, Geomatics, Geographical Information Systems (GIS) or equivalent.
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum two years’ experience in handling large relational databases and advanced skills in GIS applications
- Minimum of two years’ experience in GIS
- Skills in Geographical Information Systems and Spatial Analysis. Knowledge in geostatistics, and/or infectious disease epidemiology will be regarded as an advantage.
- Knowledge of the statistical software STATA or SPSS etc and Microsoft packages.
- Proficiency in programming languages especially R
- Good analytical and follow-through abilities
- Good planning, organisation and co-ordination skills.
- Ability to take and follow instructions, initiative, keen to learn and proactive with the ability to work under minimal supervision
- Flexibility, adaptability, multi-tasking and attention to detail
- Confidentiality and integrity
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Team working and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
All applicants are required to attach their updated CVs, Cover letter and state their current/last gross salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews.
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).