Basic position description:
- Under the supervision of the Nutrition Program Manager the incumbent will be part of the team implementing different nutrition programs geared at improving maternal and child nutrition of deprived communities in Isiolo county through strengthened nutrition resilience, enhanced health system strengthening and improved evidence based advocacy
- The Nutrition Officer will work closely with several line ministries (Health, Agriculture, and Water), National Drought Management Authority and health and Nutrition Partners in the County to continually improve the health and nutrition status in the County through an array of programs.
- The incumbent will work closely with the Nutrition Manager, program staff, S/CHMT members to ensure that program activities are on time on scope and within the budgets as stipulated in the various program documents.
Objective 1: Support to Health System Strengthening efforts at the County level.
- In liaison with the County MOH and Partners develop joint work plans for key activities as stipulated in the project document.
- In liaison with the MOH undertake periodic capacity assessment across the health facility staffs and structure OJT and Mentorship sessions to the health facilities based on specific needs.
- Work closely with the MOH and undertake classroom training to County teams on various aspects of the nutrition program to enhance program implementation
- Participate in coordination meeting at the County level with the MOH and Partners including NIWG, CNTF and any other.
- Coordinates with the other nutritional NGOs, UNICEF, WFP and MoH at County and Sub County level
- Support development of County work plans with the S/CHMTs and schedule joint supervisions to enhance quality programming
Objective 2: Support community Health Strategy and Community Resilience activities
· In liaison with the Community Strategy Focal persons at the County and Sub County level, support CHS activities at the community level including community dialogue and action days, sensitization sessions for community members among others
· Work closely with MOH to offer technical support and sustain Mother to mother support groups for improved MIYCN practices.
· Support MOH to develop ,implement and monitor Social Behaviour Change Communication Strategies in Isiolo County
· Support the MOH to develop a practical community feedback mechanism geared at improving service delivery at the County level.
· Supports the nutrition team in the implementation of community approach through regular contact and exchange with the community leaders,
Objective 3: Reporting and Program Development
· Compiles program reports on a timely basis in liaison with other program staff; Weekly SitRep, Monthly(statistical and narrative), Quarterly
· In collaboration with the Nutrition Program Manager prepare progress reports, quarterly donor reports, proposals, Program reports project procurement plan and contributes to survey reports.
· In collaboration with Program Manager and coordination team; contribute in defining technical strategy when required.
· Participates in the analysis and drafting of activity reports and evaluation of the project.
· In liaison with the program manager develop project proposal to address County specific gaps
· Support MOH focal persons on information, data management and reporting through the DHIS
· Participate in the planning, organizing and implementation of surveys, assessments and research studies including post distribution monitoring
Objective 4: Information exchange and cooperation with all ACF intervention*s* and external stakeholders
· Collaborate with all other ACF departments and sectors to ensure the projects are integrated
· Collaboration with other Partners, MOH (S/CHMT), INGOs, NGOs, CBOs and the UN working in this area to ensure smooth running of projects.
· Work in collaboration with the communities and local leaders at all stages of project implementation
Objective 5: Finance, Logistics
· Prepare cash forecast in liaison with the other program staff in line with the work plans
· Ensure the expenditure is as stipulated in the budget lines and strict adherence to the budget limits
· Propose anticipated budget realignment in line with field realities
· In liaison with the Program Manager Monitor budget spending in line with spending plan; ensure diligence in grants utilization including timely spending and value for money.
· Support the Program manager in monthly budget reviews and suggesting amendments to Finance
Internal & External Relationship
- Nutrition Program Manager : hierarchical relationship – technical support – exchange of information
- Head of Region : exchange of information and collaboration on financial and planning matters
- Logistics Assistant : exchange of information and collaboration on recruitment, training and, if need be, on team management problems
- Others Nutrition Officers: Exchange of information and coordination (integrated approach)
· County governmental and non-governmental partners : exchange of information, coordination, training, supervision, influence on choice of technical options
· Local medical authorities : exchange of information, coordination, influence on choice of technical options
· Local representatives of international aid organisations : exchange of information
· Weekly Sit Reps
· Monthly quantitative and qualitative reports
· Quarterly reports
· Joint Support Supervision reports
· Training reports
· University degree in Nutrition/ Nursing or Health related field from a recognized institution.
· Registered with KNDI or any recognized regulatory body
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
· 3 years’ experience in a similar position.
· Previous experience in Arid and Semi-Arid lands of Kenya
· Experience with Health System Strengthening
· Computer skills with excellence in Microsoft Excel and Word
· Proven ability to work in a team and proven skills in capacity building and community development (including community participation)
· Good level of spoken and written English and Kiswahili
· Ability to work within deadlines, follow security rules and be flexible
· Ability to work under minimal supervision and have impact on input on program indicators
· Demonstrate capacity in constructively engaging local authorities and local partners.
· Finance, admin, grant management, logistic, HR, security management experience
· Excellent organization, coordination, report writing and team management skills
· Strong and effective communication and presentation skills
· Team player and Keen to details
· Good level of spoken and written English and Kiswahili
Closing Date: 8th February 2017 by Close of Business 5pm. Applications sent after the closing date and time will not be considered.
Interested candidates should submit their applications through www.myjobsinkenya.com/action
Position opened to Kenyan Nationals only.