Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
UNOPS – East Africa HubLocated in Nairobi, Kenya,
UNOPS East Africa Hub manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The East Africa sub-region currently consists of an established operations center in South Sudan, an office in Somalia and a portfolio of engagements. This portfolio includes transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies UN-Habitat and UNEP, in addition to multiple ‘operational’ projects in Tanzania, Burundi, Uganda, Kenya and several Atlantic and Indian Ocean island states
Background Information – Job-specific
Under the guidance and supervision of the Logistics Manager and direct supervisor, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services for the transport of authorized personnel. The Driver has a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
This position is located in the East Africa Hub, Within limits of delegated authority and depending location, a Driver at this level may be responsible for the following duties.
Summary of Key Functions:
Provision of reliable and secure driving services
Proper use of vehicle
Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
Availability of documents/ supplies
Immediate action in case of accident 1. Provides reliable and secure driving services by;
Driving vehicles safely for the transport of authorized personnel and, in the case of peacekeeping missions, for the transport of cargo goods and/or hazardous goods vehicles;
Collecting and delivering mail, documents and other items; and
Meeting official personnel at the airport and facilitating immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Ensures proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle by checking oil, water, battery, brakes, tries, etc.; performing minor repairs and arranging for major repairs; and ensuring that the vehicle is kept clean.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts.
5.Ensures that immediate steps as required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
Perform other related duties as required.
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Driving – (1year)
- Vehicle Maintenance (1year)
- Travel Management (1year)
- Incident Debriefing
- United Nations Security System
- Geographical Exposure – East Africa
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent; drivers training with a valid driver’s license is required.
- Two years’ work experience as a driver; safe driving record working with the United Nations.
- Knowledge of UN driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs is required.
- Experience with driving in Convoys.
- Previous work with UNOPS /UNSOS will be of added advantage.
- Previous experience working with the TPP project will be advantageous but not mandatory.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Valid Drivers License, with 2-year safe-driving record is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type:Local Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: LICA 2
Contract duration:1 Year renewable subject to performance and availabilty of funds
This is a local position, as such only Kenyan Nationals will be considered or those with Kenyan residence permit.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
To apply for a vacancy, please create a UNOPS Jobs Account. This involves submitting details such as personal information, education, experience, languages, skills and other information.
On how to create a profile, click here.
Direct Link to Job advert:- https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=11613
Please note that your profile does not need to be completed all at once, it can be saved and updated on an ongoing basis. All vacancies close at midnight CET time.